Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sunday's race!

Sunday morning was the UMaine Black Bear Triathlon
or as I renamed it: COLD, NUMB, MISERABLE.

That's only a little bit of an exaggeration.

Thankfully it was a pool swim and the water was nice and warm and Sam was there to count laps for me. (I was in the first heat; he was doing a relay and swam in the 3rd heat). The swim didn't feel good, and it doesn't take a lot of brainwork to determine why: I haven't been in the pool much this fall (because my husband hogs the minimal pool hours!). And I felt it.

When I got out of the pool, I pulled on a bunch of layers over my wet bathing suit and headed out the door to get on my bike. It was, in a word (or two),
34 degrees, actually. And I faced a small problem: Everything was ready for me (helmet, sunglasses) but my fleece mittens were not there. No idea where. Still never found them. I yelled to Sam: WHERE ARE MY MITTENS? He ran back into the pool and came out with his hands up... So, off I went. By mile 1 I had no feeling in my hands and I had this refrain stuck in my head:

I'm a little kitten who lost my mittens and I am going to cry.

I tried to pull my shirtsleeves over my hands which only caused the whole thing to ride up my back and it was ever so uncomfortable. It was 12 miles of cold, numb pain. Even now I can't get myself to say it wasn't so bad. It sucked.

When I got to the end of the bike (finally) I started to run with my numb stubs (hands and feet) and only after a mile of running did I start to feel like a human again. I started to warm up a bit and actually shed one layer at mile 2. I was totally shocked to realize that the running was absolutely the easiest part of this race. I was actually thankful to be running. What a strange turn of events in my life.

Meanwhile, Sam did his leg of the race (and posted the fastest swimming time) and sent his biker and then runner on their way. We all met up at the finish line.

Our friend Stephani babysat for us and did a fantastic job layering the kids into all their fleece and hats and made it to the track for the finish (with snacks and sippie cups, even!) and there they were:
Skyler with her go mommy sign:

Reed not knowing where the hell he is, but loving his snack and milk:

and me as I spotted my babies:

My time was fine, nothing to get too excited about, but I frankly didn't care either way. But when I checked the results yesterday I was psyched that I beat the local newscaster Rick Tyler. By 30 seconds.

Steph took a bunch of pictures of the kiddos before they left our house, and this is my favorite:


Lloyd said...

50 degrees without gloves on a bike is uncomfortable; 34 degrees is torturous. You're a bad-ass. Reed and Skyler are clearly cut from the same tough cloth... where are their gloves?!

beth said...

I love the shot of the kids at the piano. We'll have to work on their hand positions a bit but I can already hear the music!!

Paige said...

Emilie, I sit here, hardly believing that you endured the race. I can truly say, I am not sure what I would have done. I feel like I am in such a rut, hence the not blogging on our team spot. At every turn I am amazed at how much you do and not only finish but how much you experience with it. The entire biking part without mittens--I am amazed.

BTW-I made your mom's creamy noodle casserole with spinach and mushrooms (out of culinary suggestions) and I totally bombed it. Any hints for success? Thanks.

Christine said...