Monday, December 7, 2009


Adventures in parenting, December edition.

Reed woke up very early and very sick on Sunday morning and got worse throughout the day. After 8 hours of throwing up, we tried 2 doses of anti-nausea meds that didn't work. The second time I called the doctor, I was told to take him to the ER because of concerns of dehydration and Reed's general lethargy and fussiness.

The short version is that Reed threw up for a total of 15 hours and finally stopped after having an IV of fluids and anti-nausea meds that kept us in the ER until 12:30 am. If you know Reed and how he usually is, you would also have been alarmed to see him lying next to me in a hospital bed pale, sweaty, and limp. He looked like the above photo all day long. I guess it was just a nasty stomach bug because they ran every test out there and everything looked normal.

I don't want to remember the traumatic insertion of the IV, so I'll leave out the details.

After a good night sleep last night, he has been able to keep tiny bites of food and some fluids down and has signs of his personality back. I think he's on the mend, but I'm going to be cautious because last night was scary, and I feel like Reed does about it: "I didn't like that at all."

Many times throughout the day and night, I was so so grateful. For our pediatrician who calls right back on a Sunday. For living in a city with a great hospital. For the nurses (also moms) who were equally concerned about my well being as they were about Reed's-- lots of pats on the back for both of us. For having great health insurance that allowed me to go the ER without a second thought. For being put into a room almost immediately upon our arrival. For our great nurse Debbie who hugged us both when we left. For the power to be able to help my son feel better.

Also, after facing that anxious terrible feeling of not knowing what is wrong with my child, I was grateful for having 2 (almost always) healthy children. I was humbled by my short time in the hospital, thinking of the parents I know (and don't know) who face these visits and invasive tests on a regular basis. These experiences always put everything else into perspective, don't they.

Both of our heart rates were elevated last night. We feel much better today.

Today I've been laughing at some of the things overheard last night:

Reed, after throwing up one of many, many, many times: "This is basgusting."

Me: "You are having a hard day, huh."
Reed: "Yeah. I'm having a hard day with all this choking."

Reed, to the nurse who came in to mess with his iv: "You stop bothering me."

Nurse to Reed: "Who is your favorite super hero?"
Reed: long blank stare
Me: "Jonathan Papelbon."

Reed, trying the polite approach:
"Can you please take this off for me?" (his iv)
When asked to open his mouth wide: "No thank you."

You know when he puts the goggles back on, he's feeling more like himself:

Reed, show us your boo-boo (iv site)

Finally eating this evening! Bananas, toast, applesauce.

He still has a fever, so we'll see how this pans out. By the way, many people have asked, but this does not look like H1N1 b/c it's not respiratory.

We are all just praying to spare the rest of us, and anyone else we have been around lately. Thanks for all the love, everyone.


Jason O'Reilly said...

He must be okay...

When Rozzy walked into Kimmie's this morning, Reed ran into the kitchen, hugged her, and then said, "I missed you, Rozzy."

Lisa said...

Poor little guy, and poor worried mom. Gosh...Sounds like a nasty episode. I feel for you both. Glad he's doing better. Your health care is phenomenal...definitely something to be grateful for. Take care!!