Saturday, January 15, 2011

week one: check.

Our long run for our first week of marathon training was 8 miles.  Three of our teammates were tied up with kids or work, but Suzanne, Susan and I decided to go for it outside, even though the forecast called for 10 degrees.  When we woke up it was even colder, and because we drove 15 miles north to start at my mom's house, when we started it was actually 1 degree.  Just one.

I was perfectly dressed for the temps:  two long-sleeve technical shirts, a warm fleece and an (ugly) windbreaker on top, with long underwear and running tights on the bottom, toe warmers in my shoes and hand warmers in my mittens, a hat and a neck gaiter. 

I also made these last-minute ankle warmers out of a pair of knee socks that I cut the feet off of.  Without them, my ankles were bare,  and these beauties enabled me to have no exposed skin and added a little extra warmth. I'm going to go ahead and say that I was "toasty" because honestly I was.  The toe and hand warmers were key.

But running in single-digits is really hard on the lungs (for me).  My breathing was labored and I felt like I had to work extra hard to even hold a pace that was slower than my usual.  Also, my camelbak, which I filled with warm water, was useless before I ever took a sip because the water in the hose froze during mile one and I couldn't get any out of there.

We ran through UMaine campus and back for an even 8.00 miles (thanks, Garmin).  My legs felt great and I'm not sore tonight.  But maybe next weekend it could be a little warmer?

After we returned to my mom's, she had us in for tea and muffins and we sat around and chatted and warmed up.  It was just lovely.

I then rushed home to relieve Sam who was headed way up north with his swim team for a meet. We spent the afternoon at a really fun sledding birthday party at my friend Nancy's house, and then we went back to my mom's for dinner.  The kids were still in sledding gear, so they spent some time climbing up the giant snow mound in my mom's yard.

jumping off!
Yeah, winter! 

I don't think I'm going to bore you with a training report every week for the next 17 weeks until the marathon, but I'll keep you posted from time to time.  Or maybe every week.  We'll see.  So far so good!  (I'll do a yoga video tomorrow so I went ahead and highlighted it).


Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex said...

Congrats on finishing your first long run of training! I just finished my first today as well.

Frederique said...

No, you have to report each week! I truly enjoy reading. I just started a running program in order to run my first Marathon Relay on May 15th. I need motivation and girl, you and your team are just that! MOTIVATION, INSPIRATION, STRENGTH, COURAGE AND LOVE...

Brooke said...

You girls are TOUGH!

Meredith said...

The trick to the frozen hydration hose is to blow the liquid back down into the bag once you are done taking a sip. You will have to deal with sucking air with each first sip during the run but at least you will have fluids!!

Michelle said...

Meredith beat me to it. Of course we are not as hard core as you... we figured out the trick to keeping the tube thawed in only 21 degrees not 1 like you all.
Hope our little trick works for you!