Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sugarloaf in the rain.

Sugarloaf would have dissolved today if it were truly made of sugar.  It rained hard-- all day long.  In fact, we never saw the mountains at all because we were so socked in with fog and rain.  It sure seemed like it would have been a stunning course if it were clear, but alas, despite our obsessive weather checking the night before, the weekend held nothing but rain.

We still had a great time hanging out together, going out to eat, and staying in a condo on the mountain with (what would have been) a beautiful view.

I spent a good part of the evening coughing and feeling legitimately sub-par.  I was actually glad that my illness was definitive, and that it was not tough decision about whether to run the marathon or not.  I went to bed feeling fairly certain that I could muster the 15K (9.3 miles), but that was the extent of what I could expect of my body this weekend.

The other 5 girls, however,  were ready to go.  We all had breakfast and geared up to brave the elements.  Leave it to our Christine to provide us with matching ponchos.

The theme song of the day? Purple Rain.

Just after this photo, the girls hopped in the van and took a left to drive to the marathon starting line, and I hopped in my car, heat blasting, and drove to the right to the 15K starting line.  I had about 30 minutes to sit in the car before my race during which time I felt really sick.  After a while the Ibuprofen kicked in, I ate a banana, and was good to go.

I ran the last 9.3 miles (though my Garmin clocked it at 9.4) of the marathon course.  My former student Rachel and my current student Tom were running, and I once again benefited from having them there because Rachel's dad Roger was there to cheer for them, and was kind enough to hang out long enough at 3 points along the race to cheer for me too (and hold my car key).  Thank you!

My legs were super fresh after not running for a full week, but the rest of me was definitely sick.  I felt okay; that's as far as I'll go, but I finished strong and was glad I did it.  Sandi came upon me with about 4 miles to go and shouted:  "Are you okay?  Do you want to keep running?"  I made myself smile and say "YES!" even though her dry van looked soooo nice. 

I will have photos once I get them from Sandi who so graciously made it to the finish line to cheer for me. 

Got my medal, grabbed some food, hugs from Tom and Rachel, and took off to find the girls, who by that time, were at mile 16.

As you will see from the photos, the rain was not doing any damage to their spirits.  It was an amazing sight to behold.

Jen and Amy still full of love at Mile 16

Christine and Susan killing it at mile 20

big smile at mile 20

Barbaric Yawp... Mile 20

Amy hanging tough... mile 20

Thumbs up!  Looking awesome at mile 23.

Sandi gets Suzanne through a tough stretch.. so much love.
All together, wet, cold, and DONE.  Congratulations to my inspiring, strong, beautiful friends.
Yes, it was a little sad for me to not be running with them, but it was much better for me to be a part of the day than to be at home wondering how they were doing.  Everyone had a very strong race, and I was proud (and teary) to see each of them cross the line.   MY hot shower felt incredible, so I can only imagine how good they are feeling now that they are dry and warm.  Love you, girls.


Anne-Marie said...

Congrats on doing the shorter race, Emilie-- challenging conditions to say the least. :)

SNW said...

15k = 9.3, so your watch wasn't too far off! (from someone who has multiplied this distance wrong many times- HA.)

Emilie said...

oh my gosh, you are right! i was thinking a 5K was 3.2

I fixed it! I thought of you a whole bunch while running, Steph. xo